Saturday, May 14, 2016

Big City... Small World!

Today was fairly laid back. We started the day by getting breakfast with one of my frosh leaders, Gilbert. He messaged me the other night after I posted on social media that I was in the area and asked to meet up. It was kinda nice seeing another familiar face and hanging with a local who knew their way around. He and his brother took Jim and I to an authentic dim sum restaurant for tea set. They kinda laughed at us because the types of food we've been posting on the blog haven't really been Chinese so they took it in their hands to take us to a good spot. This was definitely the best meal that we've had so far, everything was so good and different. We got to try an array of dishes like chicken feet, steamed rice and lotus leaf, steamed soup dumplings, pork siu mai, steamed pork buns, beef noodle rolls, shrimp dumplings and milk yolk buns. All very delicious.








Next we planned to go to Victoria Peak but it rained this morning and it was still very cloudy so we weren't sure if we'd be able to see much however we figured its now or never so we risked it and went up anyway. The wait to get on the tram was a little hectic but eventually we made it on. We lucked out because we could still see quiet a bit, wasn't super clear but nicer than we expected. At the top of the peak there are many stores and restaurants however we mainly went up to admire the view so we didn't stay too long. You can see both ends of the island from the peak, two very different spectrums.















After coming down from the peak we just decided to head back to our hostel and relax for the rest of the day. It is still kind of early so we may do something later, maybe just roam around the neighbourhood, however it is sorta nice to take it easy before we start our volunteer program. We head over to Vietnam tomorrow afternoon. I'm curious and excited to see a different part of Asia, I expect it to be very different from Hong Kong. Overall these past few days have been a great start to our trip and we were able to do everything on our list of things to do/see. I put together a quick video from our stay in Hong Kong. Here it is:



3 comments:

  1. I'm just happy you two are having a wonderful time. And grateful we can share in it. Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Feet! Nope.
    You are braver than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Interesting about the authenticity of food. I've heard that several times from people who know. Some of our restaurants profess to offer the real thing. So when you return you will be able to evaluate the truth in their advertisements. We love your blog. Thank you soooooo much😃💕

    ReplyDelete